The Lagos State Government said on Sunday that the Third Mainland Bridge which was temporarily closed for Investigative Maintenance Test had been reopened.
The government said the bridge was reopened around 5pm after the test by officials of the Federal Government was concluded.
The state government, in a statement by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Transportation, Dr Taiwo Salaam, said, “The decision to reopen the bridge earlier than announced followed the completion of the test by engineers.
“The government thanks motorists and residents for their cooperation and patience while the closure lasted.”
The state government, in partnership with the Federal Government, had shut the bridge for the maintenance test from midnight of Thursday August 23. It was supposed to end at the midnight of Sunday, August 26, 2018.
The Lagos State Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Mr Ade Akinsanya, last Sunday said the decision for the closure was taken after due consultation with the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing.
He had said, “The four-day closure will enable contractors to assess the true state of the bridge after which works would commence by the end of the year or early in 2019.”
Justifying the need for the closure, the commissioner said there had not been a serious maintenance work on the bridge.
On Sunday, Salam said the bridge opened seven hours ahead of schedule because the engineers ended their work earlier.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.