- Truckers have been protesting over low rates of shipping
- Nancy Pelosi: bill is a ‘starting point’ for negotiations
- World looks on in horror as Trump flails despite claims US leads way
- US coronavirus hotspots linked to meat processing plants
- Trump campaign focuses fire on Biden as pandemic undermines strategy
- Coronavirus – latest global updates
- Get a fresh perspective on America – sign up to our First Thing newsletter
Kari Paul here, logging off for the night. Here are the top news stories of the last few hours to take you into your weekend.
Retailer JC Penney filed for bankruptcy on Friday, making it the latest business to hit bottom amid the economic slowdown caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
US retail sales tumbled by a record 16.4% from March to April as business shutdowns caused by the coronavirus kept shoppers away, threatened the viability of stores across the country and further weighed down a sinking economy.