CHILDREN are gearing up for the start of a new term next week.
If there is anyone who knows how to do “back to school” on a budget, it’s Holly Smith.
The 32-year-old founded Facebook page Extreme Couponing and Bargains UK, which has more than a million likes.
Holly, who lives near Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, with her husband Callum, kitted out daughters Mollie-Rose, seven, and Bella- Marie, five, in uniforms for less than a tenner each last year.
Here are her saving tips.
- Uniform. Go on to Facebook and ask if any parents are selling blazers or uniform. Perhaps you could do a trade with another parent. Sometimes at the end of the year, schools sell lost property. For non-branded essentials such as polo shirts, Aldi is good for a complete uniform for around £5 or less. Last year in Pep & Co, I bought two polo shirts for £1.50 and was surprised at the quality.
- Shoes and bags. Don’t feel like you have to fork out for expensive brands. Last year I found a range of children’s shoes in B&M, which were basically a replica of Clarks. My kids wore them for a whole year. Don’t think that just because it’s from a budget store, it’s not going to last. B&M, Home Bargains and Aldi are good for bags for around a tenner.
- Stationery. I film stationery challenges on my YouTube channel, where my daughters buy all their new school gear for less than £10. I give the kids free range at a bargain store such as B&M or Wilko. A lot of the new ranges get reduced when the kids start going back to school. Last year I bought Home Bargains’ entire Smiggle dupe range for £4.
- Packed lunches. Always buy everything in bulk. B&M and Home Bargains sell branded food. You can get a big pack of Muller Light yoghurts for £1. Go to Asda and get their large pack of ham. And for crisps, try somewhere such as Lidl or buy branded crips from Farm Foods. You can also use coupons.
- Afterschool clubs. Pay cash- in-hand rather than signing up to direct debits, and negotiate for free trials or group discounts. You have got to think in the same mindset as if you were buying adult classes. They want your money! You negotiate with adult gym classes, so why not do the same with kids’ classes?
Shop & save
GET your mornings off to a sizzling start by cooking up a hearty breakfast with this two-pack of Tefal frying pans from the JTF website. Was £79.99, now £14.39.
HERE’S a tasty offer to make the family smile at teatime. Tuck into any Ristorante pizza for less at Tesco. Was £2.50, now £1.50. Offer ends September 17.
My Sun Savers fiver
JULIE STEWART, from Carlisle, says: “As I have unexpectedly lost weight, I use my fivers to buy new clothes in the online sales.”
- Tell us your Savers fiver stories at sunsavers.co.uk/fivers and you will get 28 codes worth £5 if yours is used. Please include your name and town.
INSTEAD of buying No7s Restore and Renew, above, turn back time with Poundland’s new anti-ageing collagen filler.
Reader’s saving tip
NEILL WAUGH, from Barrington, Camb, says: “Save money by putting your choice of cooking oil in a new empty spray bottle, instead of using more expensive cooking sprays.”
- Share your tips at sunsavers.co.uk/tips and you will get 28 codes worth £5 if yours is used. Please include your name and town in your email.
Deal of the day
SNAP up a bargain scent in the Cocosa beauty sale. You can get £92 Tom Ford Velvet Orchid eau de parfum 50ml for £72. See cocosa.co.uk.
Save a fiver
GIVE your child a lift with 20 per cent off all booster seats at Halfords. You can get the £25 Joie Trillo car seat for just £20.
Win £15,000 with Sun Savers Raffle
THERE’S still time join in with this month’s Sun Savers Raffle – where the paper you’re holding could be worth £15,000!
For each Sun Savers code you enter you will get a ticket into our £15,000 monthly raffle. Plus, collect ten raffle tickets in a calendar month and you’ll get a GOLDEN TICKET into our huge £80k raffle which takes place every three months.
The paper you’re holding could be worth £15,000[/caption]
Fancy getting involved? Just head to the Sun Savers app or website and opt-in to each month’s raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted. Then start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily inside the paper. Today’s code is on page 20.
Each time you enter a code you will earn yourself a monthly raffle ticket. With no limit on how many tickets you can collect per month, make sure you enter as many Sun Savers codes as possible to give yourself the best chance of winning. You’ve got to be in it to win it!
- Terms and conditions apply. For full T&Cs see sunsavers.co.uk/faqs.
Win £27,000 for uni fees
DON’T miss Saturday’s paper for the launch of our latest Sun Savers competition – Win Your Uni Fees.
With A-Level results having come out on Thursday and thousands of people across the country securing their spots at university, we thought we’d help out by sending one lucky student to University for FREE.
Our latest Sun Savers competition – Win Your Uni Fees – launches in next Saturday’s paper[/caption]
Here at The Sun we know just how expensive University has become, that’s why we’re giving away £27,000 to one person to pay for their fees.
Already studying at university? Don’t worry, you can enter too.
This competition is open to anyone who is currently a student, starting university this September or simply knows a student who they think deserves this prize.
To be in with a chance of winning this incredible competition, all you need to do is enter TEN of the 18 Sun Savers codes which will be printed daily from Saturday, August 25, then hit “enter” on Sun Savers.
Make sure you pick up next Saturday’s copy of The Sun to find out more about this fantastic competition.
Last chance to book with Hols From £9.50
HERE’S another chance to grab one of our Hols From £9.50.
There are 195 parks across the UK and Europe to choose from, at an unbeatable price.
If you find your exact holiday cheaper within 28 days of booking, we will refund the difference plus £10.
Choose a midweek break and get a fourth night’s stay free. To join in, just collect SEVEN Sun Savers codes or differently numbered tokens/codewords, printed daily until September 1.
Collecting tokens/codewords? Enter them at thesun.co.uk/holidays or post them using the online booking form.
If you are collecting Sun Savers codes, opt in to Hols From £9.50 in the Offers section in the app or on sunsavers.co.uk.
You can even use the cash in your Sun Savers wallet.
- Price per person based on four sharing. Subject to availability. Code/token collect. T&Cs and date restrictions apply.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
most read in money
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.