Girl, 3, has miracle a miracle escape after only coming away with BRUISES after being crushed by fireplace

      Comments Off on Girl, 3, has miracle a miracle escape after only coming away with BRUISES after being crushed by fireplace

A GIRL of three had a miracle escape when she was crushed by a fireplace – but suffered only bruises.

Mum Kirsty Jepson, 33, heard a loud crash in the living room at the family home and raced in to find little Charli trapped underneath the heavy surround, unconscious and not breathing.

SWNS:South West News Service

A sweet smile from three-year-old Charli Jepson, who survived being crushed by a heavy fireplace[/caption]

She desperately lifted the fireplace off her as her other daughter Milly, 12, rang 999 and then dad Kyle Greenway, 28.

As an air ambulance raced to the scene frantic Kirsty held Charli’s apparently lifeless body in her arms and feared the worst.

She said: “When I held her while we were waiting for the ambulance I thought she was dead.

“I thought ‘she’s gone’, she wasn’t breathing, she was an awful white colour and her eyes were open but she wasn’t moving, I thought she was dead.

SWNS:South West News Service

The heavy resin fireplace that crushed Charli Jepson, leaving her unconscious and not breathing[/caption]

SWNS:South West News Service

Poorly Charli was heavily strapped and airlifted to hospital following the horror accident[/caption]

“I was screaming. I don’t normally panic but I did then. Then this awful rash started to spread across her chest and she had a fit.

“I just completely freaked out but it turned out the rash was the blood pumping around her body again. When she came out of the fit she just screamed and screamed.

“I saw the paramedics looking at each other and I said, ‘do I need to be worried?’ and they nodded.

“Then they told me to look up and said the air ambulance is trying to land.”

SWNS:South West News Service

Sweet relief for Milly, 12, who dialled 999 while Charli’s mum lifted the fireplace from the unconscious tot[/caption]

Charli was taken by air ambulance to Liverpool’s Alder Hey Children’s hospital where doctors at first feared she had suffered a serious spinal injury as she was unable to lie down or feel anything in her feet.

But after a number of tests and scans she was amazingly given the all clear.

Kirsty, of Dalton, Cumbria, said: “The doctor said ‘I don’t know how but she is fine, she’s a miracle’. I honestly don’t know how she’s still alive.

I thought I’d lost her.

SWNS:South West News Service

Mum Kirsty Jepson with Charli, top left, and her sisters Milly and Tori[/caption]

“I can’t thank them all enough: the doctors, paramedics, nurses and especially the 999 call handler who managed to calm me down and tell me what to do.

“It really is nothing short of a miracle.”

Charli was allowed home less than 24 hours after the accident last Wednesday and is now “running around and playing” – and boasting about how she went in a helicopter.