Beijing pressures Europe to stop Taiwan joining WHO; record increase in daily Brazil cases; Covid-19 spreads in Yemen. Follow the latest updates
- Europe could face deadly second wave of winter infections
- Brazil loses second health minister in less than a month
- US deaths projected to reach 100,000 by 1 June – CDC
- Australia coronavirus updates – live
- Coronavirus latest: at a glance
Hundreds of people in Aden, southern Yemens main city, have died in the past week with symptoms of what appears to be the coronavirus, local health officials said in interviews with The Associated Press.
The officials fear the situation is only going to get worse: Yemen has little capacity to test those suspected of having the virus and a 5-year-long civil war has left the health system in shambles.
One gravedigger in Aden told AP he had never seen such a constant flow of dead even in a city that has seen multiple bouts of bloody street battles during the civil war.
As Donald Trump spoke to the press in his Rose Garden on Friday, a low hum could be heard from outside the White House grounds.
The president said the sound was truckers “showing support” and insisted: “They love their president.”