‘The question is when and how big,’ says Europe CDC chief; world sees largest daily rise in cases; Trump considers in-person G7. Follow the latest updates
- EU virus response chief: ‘Europe should brace itself for second wave’
- Largest daily rise in Covid-19 cases prompts WHO warning
- Global cases near 5 million
- Australia coronavirus updates – live
- Coronavirus latest: at a glance
Ecuador’s largest city, Guayaquil, allowed some businesses to reopen on Wednesday following a fall in daily deaths from the coronavirus pandemic that had for weeks required the city to remain in quarantine, Reuters reports.
Mexico’s health ministry on Wednesday registered 2,248 new coronavirus infections and an additional 424 fatalities, a record one-day death toll since the start of the pandemic.
The new infections brought confirmed coronavirus cases to 56,594 and 6,090 deaths in total, according to the official tally.
Mexico registered its biggest daily increase yet in infections on Tuesday, when it reported 2,713 new cases. Mexico’s highest daily death toll was on 12 May, when health authorities reported 353 fatalities.