A suspect is in custody, but police are advising people to stay away from the area.
An active shooter on Wednesday shot five police officers and another person in Florence County, South Carolina, killing at least one officer, according to local officials.
Authorities said the active shooter situation is now over and a suspect is in custody.
Florence County Emergency Management advised people to stay away from Vintage Place, calling it the scene of “an active crime investigation in progress.”
The story is still developing. Here’s what we know, and don’t, so far.
What we know
- Shortly before 5 pm local time, Florence County Emergency Management tweeted about “an active shooter incident in progress at this time,” telling the public to stay away from Vintage Place in Florence. The shooting ended by around 6 pm, although Florence County Emergency Management continued to advise people to stay away from the area.
- Three Florence County Sheriff’s Office deputies and two Florence Police Department officers were shot, Florence County Chief Deputy Glenn Kirby said, according to local news outlets and CNN.
- At least one of the officers died, Florence County Coroner Keith von Lutcken told CNN affiliate WBTW.
- Another person, a 20-year-old man, was also shot, but is still alive, Kirby told WBTW.
- A suspect is in custody after reportedly surrendering to police, according to Kirby.
- Special agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) are on the scene to help with the investigation, the agency tweeted.
- There have been at least 274 other mass shootings in the US in 2018, according to the Gun Violence Archive. The organization defines mass shootings as events in which four or more people, excluding the shooter, were shot but not necessarily killed in a similar time and place.
- Florence County has a population of more than 138,000 people, according to the US Census Bureau.
What we don’t know
- The shooter’s identity
- The shooter’s motive
- All the officers’ conditions
- The final casualty count
- All the victims’ identities