A 71-year-old man had to have his hand amputated when his flesh started rotting because he ate sushi. The man, from South Korea, became infected with a potentially deadly flesh-eating bacterium, which caused painful black ulcers to grow across his skin 12 hours after indulging in the raw seafood according to Metro UK.
The infection was so bad that he had to have his hand and forearm amputated 25 days later. Medics drained the blisters before deciding his limb could not be saved because the unnamed man’s skin had started rotting so badly.
The pensioner visited doctors in Jeonju, South Korea, after experiencing excruciating pain in his hand for two days. His story, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, took a turn when a blister on the palm of his hand grew to 3.5cm by 4.5cm – approximately the size of a golf ball. Others spread across the back of his hand and forearm.
Doctors diagnosed him with an infection called vibriosis caused by the Vibrio vulnificus bacteria. The man was already suffering from type II diabetes, high blood pressure, and end stage kidney disease for which he was having dialysis.
Despite medics’ best efforts – they operated on his hand and gave him two types of intravenous antibiotics – the man’s condition got worse again. The deep ulcers on his hand caused necrosis – the death of living tissue, which can spread and cause irreparable injuries. People with diabetes are at particular risk of complications from skin ulcers because the condition restricts the flow of blood and nutrients to the skin so it takes longer to heal – and sometimes is not able to heal at all. Doctors decided to amputate his left hand and forearm to stop the rotting tissue from spreading any further.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.