A THOMAS Cook worker and her husband have been found dead in their hotel room, with pals fearing they suffered carbon monoxide poisoning.
Susan Cooper, 64, and John, 69, booked the “holiday of a lifetime” through the travel company.
Their bodies were discovered yesterday at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel in Hurghada, Egypt.
It was thought their daughter Kelly, 40, was also taken ill but survived.
Thomas Cook tonight announced it has removed all of its holidaymakers from the hotel “as a precautionary measure” as a spokesman revealed other guests had fallen ill.
Friends of the couple last night speculated they were killed by high levels of the poisonous gas in their room.
One pal said: “No one can be sure until the post mortem.
“Some people have heard that Kelly felt unwell and went for a walk. When she came back her parents were dead.”
Susan, from Burnley, Lancs, worked at her local Thomas Cook travel agency. It was shut following her death.
But a colleague at a nearby Thomas Cook said: “She had gone on a trip of a lifetime and sadly will never come back. It’s heartbreaking and tragic.”
John, a former bouncer, owned the Burnley building firm JJ Cooper’s.
Thomas Cook said: “We are deeply saddened by the deaths of two of our customers, one of whom was a loyal and long-serving member of our family.
“We are supporting their loved ones and urgently investigating.”
The travel firm said in a statement: “We are deeply saddened by the tragic deaths of two of our customers that were staying in the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in Hurghada, Egypt.
“The circumstances of their deaths are still unclear.
Were you staying at the hotel? Call the Sun Online newsdesk on 0207 782 4368 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
“We have also received further reports of a raised level of illness among guests.
“Safety is always our first priority, so as a precautionary measure we have taken a decision to remove all our customers from this hotel.”
Investigations are “urgently” underway, the travel agent said.
A colleague told Mail Online: “We are a close team and we know the member of staff who died. It is heartbreaking and tragic.
“Mrs Cooper had gone on a trip of a lifetime and sadly will never come back. The store is closed as a sign of respect. The team there are devastated and closed up shop yesterday.”
A friend of the couple also reportedly said they were “devoted to each other and couldn’t live without each other”.
In a statement, the Foreign Office said: “We are supporting the family of a British couple who died in Hurghada, Egypt and we are in contact with the local tour operator.”
It’s reported the couple were from Burnley and the travel agent employee worked at a local branch in Chancery Walk, which was closed as a mark of respect.
According to the Burnley Express, the company’s Head of Customer Welfare Carol Mackenzie flew out to the resort last night to meet with relatives of the couple and offer support.
MOST READ IN WORLD NEWS
Hurghada is a beach resort town along Egypt’s Red Sea coast, popular with British tourists.
Last year we revealed how Brit tourists were flocking to the resort after the Foreign Office warned against travelling to Sharm El Sheikh.
On its website, Thomas Cook describes Hurghada as “the capital of the Red Sea Riviera, where beautiful beaches, vibrant nightclubs and world-class diving destinations await.”
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at email@example.com or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.