Bride watched groom die just 13 hours after tying the knot from cancer he was diagnosed with SIX DAYS before ceremony

      Comments Off on Bride watched groom die just 13 hours after tying the knot from cancer he was diagnosed with SIX DAYS before ceremony

A HEARTBROKEN newlywed watched the love of her life die on her wedding night – just 13 hours after they got married.

Michelle White, 32, rushed to tie the knot with her partner Scott Plumley after he was unexpectedly diagnosed with terminal cancer and told he had days to live.

Michelle White and two-year partner Scott Plumley pose for a loving snap

The couple had already been saving for a future wedding together but urgently brought the date forward when docs gave the devastating news last Monday evening.

Michelle managed to plan the wedding in just 24 hours and get friends and family from across the country to attend.

Now, ten days on, she is tragically tasked with planning her husband’s funeral.

The heartbreaking week began when care worker Michelle returned home from a night shift to find Scott collapsed on the floor of their Bristol home in agony.

The bride and groom at their wedding in Southmead Hospital, in Bristol

He had earlier been complaining about bad indigestion and prescribed the drug omeprazole to treat stomach ulcers.

Michelle called an ambulance and Scott, 41, was admitted to hospital on early in the morning on Friday, August 10.

The next day an endoscopy revealed his condition was much more serious than what doctors had thought.

By Monday, tests confirmed the couple’s worst fears.

The couple share a kiss during the ceremony in front of friends and family

“The consultant came in at around 4pm on the Monday to his bed at Southmead Hospital,” Michelle the Bristol post.

“He said Scott had Stage 4 cancer of the oesophagus, and because they caught it late, it had already spread to his liver and had destroyed that, and there was nothing they could do.

“I asked how long, expecting them to say ‘a couple of months’ or something, so I could bring him home, but they said ‘no it will be weeks at most, in fact, it could be just days’.

Docs said nothing could be done to treat the cancer, ruling out chemo and only being able to offer palliative care.

“This was devastating,” she added.

Scott sadly died in the early hours of Thursday morning with he new wife by his side

The couple barely had time to process the news before deciding on two courses of action.

First they would inform Scott’s family and friends, and second, tie the knot as soon as possible.

“We were already engaged – we got engaged on the anniversary of us getting together – and we were planning to get married, saving up for it,” Michelle added.

By Tuesday friends and family had arrived to be with Scott. Michelle and her pals then worked against the clock to plan a wedding in less than a day.

They got to the Register Office in the city centre at 4pm on Tuesday arranged for the Registrar to come to the hospital at noon on Wednesday.

“It was a massive rush. I literally had 20 hours to prepare and arrange a wedding. Everyone was so generous. One of my friends did the flowers, got a cake,” Michelle said.

On Wednesday, wheelchair-bound Scott wore a shirt and trousers as he got married to his partner of two years in front of his  his loved ones.

Newlywed Michelle and the guests went to a local pub for the reception as weary Scott got some much needed rest.

She returned later returned to her husband’s hospital bed and noticed he was “deteriorating fast”.

Michelle said he was “uncomfortable and restless” but settled down by 1:30am.

Scott suddenly took three gasps of breath, prompting Michelle to hold and kiss him and say: “It’s okay baby, you can go now, and get out of the pain.

Then, barely 13 hours after they had married, Scott passed away.

Michelle said in her experience as a carer it was the “nicest death”.

Now, in the same week she set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for her wedding, the widow has set up a new page to help pay for her husband’s funeral.

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.